Wednesday, September 24, 2008

19th-Century Silhouettes With a Twist

I adore the look of 19th-Century silhouettes. But rather than the straightfoward profiles, I'm partial to a little more somethin'-somethin' -- namely, unique postures, poses and details added in watercolor or gilding.

Being the mom of boy-girl twins, I covet this boy-girl portrait from Granite Pail Collectibles:



Don't you love the lace detail on the bonnet/collar? And the marbled look of the frame just takes the cake.

This silhouette from Leslie Antiques is unusual in depicting a bird perched on the subject's finger. It's also unusual in that it's painted, not cut -- the rarest of silhouette methods.



I particularly like how the detail on the back of the girl's dress gives her almost an angelic form.

As always, ebay remains a great place to pick up antiques deals, and silhouettes are no exception. When silhouette shopping, I find it useful to browse the ebay UK site at ebay.co.uk.

Currently up-for-grabs is this circa 1840 full-length silhouette of a young lady:



The artist saw fit to add the plaid checks on her dress, and I'm so glad that he did. Bid now before she's gone!

2 comments:

Margie said...

I love these! I have been looking for mine (done when I was 10) for weeks. I think it is lost forever.

I love the Santos too! I have one and ordered two more affordable ones about 3 weeks ago. I would give you the link but the lady hasn't shipped them STILL!

I would love to buy the ones you have pictured. Ouch tho! ;)

katydidnot said...

i lurve the full-length plaid. fantastic.