Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Birds of a Feather: Edward Lear, Fraktur Artist?

Has it really been 2 months since I've posted? Ah, well. Holidays + a kitchen remodel = a neglected blog.

As you know, I'm obsessed with 1) frakturs, and 2) birds. So I was thrilled to receive this in the mail today, my latest ebay purchase:



This sweetie has everything I love about frakturs: whimsmical lines, bright colors, an aged look, and a great period frame. I am not sure of its age.

Ever notice how you seem to stumble across finds in groups? Well, also today, I was browsing online for art, and found these delightful watercolors by the beloved children's lit author and illustrator, Edward Lear. Tell me this doesn't have a touch of fraktur in it:



I'm a bit partial to the yellow bird, myself:



Aren't the calligraphy touches to die for?

You can find the whole collection online at Art.com!

No comments: